Difference between revisions of "zPrinter 450"
|Line 49:||Line 49:|
printed parts from the Zprinter are very fragileorder to make the part more durable is submerged in a infiltrate fluid . is essentially super glue which is designed to rapidly strengthen parts. It is a no-odor, non-blooming resin, that can be easily sanded and painted. Not only do you get strong parts, but Z-Bond enhances the vibrancy of models printed with color.
Revision as of 22:10, 5 January 2017
About zPrinter 450
The zPrinter 450 developed by Z Corporation (acquired in 2012 by 3D Systems) is a fused deposition modeling (FDM) machine also known as a 3D Printer. The zPrinter 450 uses inkjet heads from HP to extrude a water based binder solution onto thin layers of a plaster based substrate. Each layer of plaster is 0.0035 inches which is thinner than a standard sheet of 20 pound printer paper. The addition of a tri-color HP cartridge allows for full range color printing rather than the standard white of the zPrint powder.
- General Stats:
- Material : Plaster (CaSO4)
- Maximum Part Size : 203mm x 254mm x 203mm (8in x 10in x 8in)
- X/Y Resolution : 300 x 450 dpi
- Layer Thickness : 0.089mm (.0035in)
- Main Article : Processing zPrinter Files
- We will only process STLs which have:
- 1 shell per continuous part
- 0 border edges
- 0 invalid orientations
- 0 holes.
- Geometry should have a minimum wall thickness of 2mm for “best chances” to survive post processing.
Even if Netfabb reports no invalid orientations, if we see red triangles in repair mode there is a problem with your model. Print at your own risk. If you are unsure of a model in NetFabb and want to see how it is perceived by the zPrinter we can process it in zPrint.
Fixing a File
- Main Article : Fixing STLs
Students are welcome to use any of our computers for fixing their files in Netfabb or Rhino.
- Here are some tips to get you started at home:
- Ideally in Rhino you want one closed polysurface before meshing.
- NetFabb is better at meshing than Rhino. Consider opening the 3dm file in NetFabb to generate the STL instead.
- Default repair is decent at fixing holes, border edges, and invalid orientations. Then try using boolean join to reduce shells down to 1.
- If boolean join results in multiple shells then most likely the shells are not contiguous. Consider deleting extra shells in model.
- Extended repair wraps an existing STL in a new mesh. This can severely alter geometry and result in thin walled sections.
You can color your model in the zEditPro Software or export a VRML file from your favorite CAD software. VRML files must be saved as Version 2 with texture coordinates exported. Since there is no black color cartridge, any black on your model will be a high density mix of CMY and may appear as thin stripes of those colors. We cannot guarantee color accuracy.
Coloring in zEditPro
- Main Article : Coloring in zEdit Pro
- From Paint and Texture Model mode, you may either apply colors or a texture (image) to your model:;
- For coloring: you may color triangles, surfaces, shells, or the entire part. Right click to apply your changes.
- For texturing you can apply it to visible surfaces or your whole model. You may also apply the texture as a straight projection or wrapped around the model.
- Right click to preview changes and right click to apply.
The printed parts from the Zprinter are very fragile, In order to make the part more durable it is either submerged in a infiltrate fluid or it is poured over the part. The infiltrate fluid is essentially a kind of super glue which is designed to rapidly strengthen parts. It is a no-odor, non-blooming resin, that can be easily sanded and painted. Not only do you get strong parts, but Z-Bond enhances the vibrancy of models printed with color.