About uPrint Plus
The uPrint Plus developed by Stratasys, Ltd. is a fused deposition modeling (FDM) machine also known as a 3D Printer. The uPrint Plus extrudes a layer of ABS thermoplastic about 0.010 inches thick. These layers stack up to form a 3D model of the desired part. The uPrint Plus has at least 10 different colors of ABS to choose from.
- General Stats:
- Material : Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (ABS)
- Maximum Part Size : 203mm x 203mm x 152mm (8in x 8in x 6in)
- Layer Thickness : 0.254mm (.010in)
- Main Article : Processing zPrinter Files
After you have designed the 3D model of your desired part, export the part in the STereoLithography (.stl) file format. The STL format describes only the surface geometry of the object. Then open the file in the Autodesk Netfabb software to repair the file.
- We will only process STLs which have:
- 1 shell per continuous part
- 0 border edges
- 0 invalid orientations
- 0 holes.
Even if Netfabb reports no invalid orientations, if we see red triangles in repair mode there is a problem with your model. Print at your own risk. If you are unsure of a model in NetFabb and want to see how it is perceived by the zPrinter we can process it in zPrint.
Fixing a File
- Main Article : Fixing STLs
Students are welcome to use any of our computers for fixing their files in Netfabb or Rhino.
- Here are some tips to get you started at home:
- Ideally in Rhino you want one closed polysurface before meshing.
- NetFabb is better at meshing than Rhino. Consider opening the 3dm file in NetFabb to generate the STL instead.
- Default repair is decent at fixing holes, border edges, and invalid orientations. Then try using boolean join to reduce shells down to 1.
- If boolean join results in multiple shells then most likely the shells are not contiguous. Consider deleting extra shells in model.
- Extended repair wraps an existing STL in a new mesh. This can severely alter geometry and result in thin walled sections.
You can color your model in the zEditPro Software or export a VRML file from your favorite CAD software. VRML files must be saved as Version 2 with texture coordinates exported. Since there is no black color cartridge, any black on your model will be a high density mix of CMY and may appear as thin stripes of those colors. We cannot guarantee color accuracy.
Coloring in zEditPro
- Main Article : Coloring in zEdit Pro
- From Paint and Texture Model mode, you may either apply colors or a texture (image) to your model:;
- For coloring: you may color triangles, surfaces, shells, or the entire part. Right click to apply your changes.
- For texturing you can apply it to visible surfaces or your whole model. You may also apply the texture as a straight projection or wrapped around the model.
- Right click to preview changes and right click to apply.