Welcome to the Idea Shop Prototyping Lab, the general access shop at the Illinois Institute of Technology, located in the Kaplan Institute.
The Idea Shop is comprised of two spaces: The Grainger Maker Space, which houses our general shop tools, laser cutters, and CNC router, and the Janet & Craig Duchossois Idea Shop - i.e. the Assembly Space - which houses our 3D printers, CAD and electronics workstations, and ample workspace and storage space.
As of December 5, 2022 the Grainger Maker Space will remain closed to in-person use for the Fall 2020 semester, and the Assembly Area will be open to in-person use by appointment only. These policies are subject to change at any time without notice.
- For prototyping services via remote file submissions, see our Remote File Submission page for details.
- To make an Assembly Area reservation, click here. Only users who have previously completed a safety training can reserve work time or join another users reservation in the Assembly Area.
- Monday December 5 2022
- uPrint Plus ABS 3D printer is offline.
- zPrinter 450 Plaster 3D printer is online.
- Form2 Resin 3D printer is online.
- Objet Eden 260V Polyjet 3D printer is offline.
- Monoprice Mini PLA 3D printer is online
- Epilog Laser Cutter is online.
- Universal Laser Cutter is offline.
- ShopSabre 3-Axis CNC Router is offline.
- Roland 4-Axis CNC Mill is online.
This wiki serves as the operation manual and lab notebook for the Idea Shop Prototyping Lab. Use these pages to:
- Understand the capabilities and limitations of the lab equipment.
- Look up the properties of materials that can be worked in the lab.
- Gain an overview of common methods - combinations of machines and materials - that are available in the lab.
- Review the projects of other lab users.
This is a site built by lab staff. If you would like to get more information about visiting and using the Prototyping Lab, please contact us at email@example.com.