Illinois Tech’s Idea Shop, housed in the Kaplan Institute, helps to ignite ideas with cutting-edge tools to enable students to transform their designs, products, and inventions into reality. In this state-of-the-art, rapid-prototyping lab, full-time staff and a diverse group of student workers advise users on equipment use, mechanical and electrical design, embedded systems programming, and much more. As a campus wide resource students can use the Idea Shop for a class, research project, or their own personal endeavor.
The Idea Shop is comprised of two spaces: The Grainger Maker Space, which houses our general shop tools, laser cutters, and CNC router, and the Janet & Craig Duchossois Idea Shop - also known as the Assembly Area - which houses our 3D printers, CAD and electronics workstations, and ample workspace and storage space.
Due to COVID-19, the Grainger Maker Space will remain closed to in-person use. The Assembly Area will be open to in-person use by appointment only. These policies are subject to change at any time without notice.
- For prototyping services via remote file submissions, see our Remote File Submission page for details.
- To make an Assembly Area reservation, click here. Only users who have previously completed a safety training can reserve work time or join another users reservation in the Assembly Area.
- Saturday December 3 2022
- Stratasys F370 **NEW** ABS 3D printer is online.
- Stratasys J55 **NEW** Polyjet 3D printer is online.
- Form2 Resin 3D printer is online.
- Monoprice Mini PLA 3D printer is online
- Epilog mini laser cutter is online.
- Epilog BIGGO **NEW** dual source laser is offline, coming soon!!.
- ShopSabre **NEW** 3-Axis CNC Router is offline, coming soon!!.
- Roland 4-Axis CNC Mill is online.
This wiki serves as the operation manual and lab notebook for the Idea Shop Prototyping Lab. Use these pages to:
- Understand the capabilities and limitations of the lab equipment.
- Look up the properties of materials that can be worked in the lab.
- Gain an overview of common methods - combinations of machines and materials - that are available in the lab.
- Review the projects of other lab users.
This is a site built by lab staff. If you would like to get more information about visiting and using the Prototyping Lab, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.